Author Topic: Sub Woofer RCA outputs  (Read 2183 times)

vrod

• View Profile
Sub Woofer RCA outputs
« on: October 26, 2021, 04:04:46 PM »
Hey guys, one of my amps, a George Wright integrated unit, has a subout RCA output. If I used it in my system with the Horns and the Cube, what kind of hookup would be needed on the Crown amp. How would it be different sound wise from Ed's hook up. Wouldn't the Crown act just like a plate amp on the back some of the Subs I see advertised?

henry

• View Profile
Re: Sub Woofer RCA outputs
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2021, 03:52:22 PM »
Hey vrod, I imagine the output of your integrated amp is full range.  But, I don't know.  If that's the case you could simply run rca's to the Crown if the Crown has enough gain (the second generation Crowns have adjustable gain).

Keep in mind that lots of preamp outputs are sonically compromised when multiple outputs are used.  Ed demonstrated that with Bruce of Transcendent Sound and IIRC he started making preamps with only one output.

I've always had better integration using speaker level inputs with sub amps.  Whatever colorations that may occur in the amplifier will be passed on the the sub amp.  I've seen that quite a few times.  I'd love it if preamp connections worked better (less wires, etc.).

Good luck...

vrod

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2021, 03:56:12 PM »
Thanks Henry

henry

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2021, 10:31:54 PM »
Hey, give it a shot both ways and see what you think.  If it's cool, I'd like to hear what happened.