Author Topic: Great Horned Heils with Class D?  (Read 2923 times)

TEA FOR ONE

• View Profile
Great Horned Heils with Class D?
« on: March 14, 2021, 07:18:36 PM »
Hello all!
 I'm looking to try a class D amp,and I remember reading something on the old site about a certain type of amplification that did not play well with the GHH's. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. I'm looking at Icepower,or similar amps.

thehornshoppe

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Great Horned Heils with Class D?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2021, 06:06:19 PM »
No, the GHH should not be used with any digital amp.....if it has the (preferred) series xover. There are both out there. I'll post the schematic for it later so that you can determine what you have. Hope this helps.
Ed

TEA FOR ONE

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2021, 09:26:58 PM »
Thanks Ed! I was recently in the hunt for a new amp to put in the rotation. I had been eyeing some class D offerings,but remembered issues being discussed on the old forum. I wasn't sure if it was class d or t. Anywho, I pulled the trigger on a gently used First Watt J2. Class D might be an option in the future,if I have the correct crossover.

thehornshoppe

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2021, 02:54:45 AM »
Here is the series xover.

It should be fine with the J2. Keep in mind on some Pass stuff, the ACA for instance the Red post is ground and the Black one is the "hot or positive". I do not know about the J2 but I'd check before I did the high level sub connection!
Hope this helps.
Ed

TEA FOR ONE

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2021, 05:37:58 PM »
Thanks for the diagram Ed. All is well with the First Watt amps. I’ve been running the F5 for almost 4 years,and the J2 for close to 40hrs without a hiccup!