Author Topic: Crown xls  (Read 6788 times)

vrod

• View Profile
Crown xls
« on: February 01, 2021, 03:49:13 AM »
Is it ok to use the Crown xls with the Cube. To me it seems like overkill. I thought I read in the old forum that you could'nt use the Crown XLS in the bridged mode( the cube is a 4ohm  load

sonic

• View Profile
Re: Crown xls
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2021, 04:44:33 PM »
Where can one see the spec for the Cube?

vrod

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2021, 05:56:24 PM »
I read it on one of the internet sites where the Tang Bad woofer is rated as a 4 ohm load.

vrod

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2021, 06:01:33 PM »
Sorry, that should be Tang Band subwoofer

vrod

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2021, 06:07:14 PM »
Try Parts express

sonic

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2021, 05:21:53 AM »
Those drivers have 4 Ohm impedance which should be OK for Crown xls bridged which is also rated for 4 Ohm.  But if it's for mono, there are many other amp options other than xls.

Luddite

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2021, 01:59:04 PM »
Is it ok to use the Crown xls with the Cube. To me it seems like overkill. I thought I read in the old forum that you could'nt use the Crown XLS in the bridged mode( the cube is a 4ohm  load

Hi Vrod,

Yes, it's OK to use the Crown XLS series with the Cube. I've done it several times with my XLS 2002, without incident. Ed goes into detail about bridging the XLS here https://tubehifi.websitetoolbox.com/post/Subwoofer-Project-6426090?&trail=15, saying he parallels his bucket subs with the XLS, which he reminds us would be a 4-ohm load.

And from page 7 of the Crown XLS users manual: "BRIDGE mode delivers the power of both amp channels into a single load of 4Ω or greater".

As for whether using any of the XLS amps with the Cube is "overkill", that, I suppose, is subjective. But my own experience has been that I got much better performance from my Cube with the XLS 2002 than I did when I ran it with the Dayton APA150 amp I first used it with.

I hope that helps.

I have the parts for my Bucket Subs, and spent last night reading the thread linked above, trying to sort out how (or more accurately, "If") I'm going to be able to use them. I can't use Ed's "Magic Cable" off the terminals of my First Watt F1J amp because of the type of circuit it is. It would likely "smoke" the Crown. The dilemma is, the F1J is easily my best sounding amp with my Horns/Heils, and I've never been willing to give it up.

I've thought about adding an extra pair of RCA jacks on the output of The Truth to drive the Crown, but reading that Transcendent Sound forum Bucket thread again last night, Ed was pretty adamant that it would degrade the sound. My only other choice would be to sideline the First Watt and use one of my tube amps instead. Either way is a compromise, and so far I've opted for less bass and a better mid-range and top end.

vrod

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2021, 03:15:26 PM »
Thanks and welcome to the new site!

thehornshoppe

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2021, 06:56:37 PM »
Victor, the xover in the Crown is worth the money alone. It will blend even better than it does now.

Tod, just split the output......it should be fine, I'm doing just that now for "convenience". The Truth can drive 2 outputs but given a choice I go the other way.

Hope this helps.
Ed

vrod

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2021, 08:49:28 PM »
My George Wright integrated tube amp has an RCA output labeled subwoofer, can I use this to connect to the Crown amp?

Luddite

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2021, 02:10:38 PM »

just split the output......it should be fine, I'm doing just that now for "convenience". The Truth can drive 2 outputs but given a choice I go the other way.

Hope this helps.
Ed

It does help, Ed, thanks. With my tube amps I do have the Magic Cable choice, but not with the First Watt F1J, as you know.

Cidermill1

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2021, 05:44:59 PM »
Please forgive me if I'm posting this in the wrong place.
My question is partly related to the use of a Crown XLS amp to drive the bucket sub.

Does anyone know the correct way to wire up the bucket sub / crown xls amp with the Amp Camp Amp Version 1.6 amp?
It worked great with the Amp Camp Amp Version 1.5 amps.
Every combination of wiring I've tried leads to either the suppression of the right or alternatively the left channel. Not complete loss of signal, but almost all.

Greatly appreciate your consideration of my inquiry.
Thank you.
Michael

Truth Preamp
Model 1 with Heil
Bucket Sub
Crown XLS 1500

thehornshoppe

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2021, 07:25:03 PM »
Hi guys, lately several fellows have had issues with Crown and sub hookup. All but one are using or tried a Pass amp of some type. On the Amp Camp mono's the black terminal is actually the “hot” and the red is the ground if it is built according to directions. This means a high level connection must be reversed......the resistor and center pin of the RCA must go to the black terminal and the barrel/shield of the RCA must go to the red. I do not know YET if the new amp in the one box is the same.

The odd thing is some of these issues only recently showed up. So here is what I think you all should do at this point.

I have always and still do think the high level connection is best. I also prefer the subs running mono regardless of how many so long as the summed and  bridged connection is working! Meaning a combination of parallel and series depending on how many to get a decent load and for the Crown that could actually be as low as 2 ohms.

Now that said, that is not what I am actually doing even though it works for me. All of you that are having trouble I think you should go to the line level connection and run the Crown in stereo.
I am using these.... go to ebay and put this in the search bar, RCA-Audio-Y-Splitter-Plug-Adapter-1-Male-to-2-Female-Gold-Plated-Connector/    A pic of mine are below.

If you have dual outs on The Truth you obviously do not need the splitters. Stick them into The Truth and run the RCA's to the main amp and to the Crown off of each one. Make sure the Crown is in stereo mode.

As you might have guessed you need 2 subs.........or at least another speaker to put a load on the channel, the level can always be set to zero or to match the FFRS Mark 4:20i or the Cube.....anything to put a load on both channels, it does not have to be equal or the same type of sub.

In my case I do not have a FFRS or a Cube (at this time) but rather 2 small sealed things. They are stacked on each other and they are running in stereo as described above.

I will experiment with summing the channels and running the Crown in mono but for now the above connections should work for anyone and will be ok.

Hope this helps.
Ed

Luddite

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2021, 04:47:02 PM »
Thank you Ed. My system is apart at the moment, while I take up the old wall-to-wall carpeting underneath it. When I hook everything back up, I'll try the Crown in "stereo" (as opposed to "bridged") and report back.

Cidermill1

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2021, 01:56:44 PM »
Good morning,
Should have made a note of the recommended Crown XLS crossover setting for the fantastic Bucket Sub.
Could someone help me out again by posting the recommended low pass frequency setting?
A friend wants me to bring the bucket sub and amp to his home to try it with his stereo and I'm afraid of loosing the setting when I set it up over there.
Thank you.

Michael

PS  Also bringing over the Truth preamp. Doing my best to convince him to buy one for himself.